Thursday, April 30, 2020

Create a Moveable Gallery Display Wall For Your Art Studio

Hello Friends!

If you are an Artist or Creative, chances are you have been spending a lot more time creating than usual. Same here.

Now with all the new paintings, I have filled my storage space and needed a solution. 

I have had this idea for a while, thinking that this may be a great solution for display at art shows, craft fairs, etc. (If you haven't priced exhibit walls for shows, they are super expensive. This idea may be a great money saver. Bonus!) No better time than the present #STAYHOME lockdown to try making this gallery wall.

Mind you, this was only a trial run, but I think my idea will work for what I need. It will get my artwork up off the floor, and also add visual interest to the room where it is placed.




Here is what I used:

Room Dividing Screen
String
S-Hooks

Here is how I did it:

I have this awesome 3-panel room divider that currently has not function. It is iron and the panels themselves are burlap fabric. I did not want to put holes in the fabric, so I thought I would use chain vertically with the loops big enough to fit my s-hooks. Of course, I don't have the chain yet, but I used string to try out my design theory and check layout of the artwork. It looks so good I may leave it this way for a while, or at least until I feel like chancing a trip to the local home repair/hardware store.

I started by attaching the string to the top with a basic loop knot. I measured the string to the bottom of the screen, knowing I would be using some of the length for more loop knots.


I measured from the top of the fabric the distance for the first loop knot the distance my hanging wire is from the top of my painting. (I generally always measure that wire 6 inches from the top of my paintings.)

After hanging the first painting, I measured from the bottom of the painting following the steps above for the next loop knot plus one inch. This will give space between paintings and can be adjusted accordingly. 

*HINT: If you make the loop knots a little bigger, you can pull the string and adjust the picture height once you hang it.

Continue this until you have filled the panel. I have added more since I took the picture above.

I stopped after covering one side with art. This way, the side that faces my living space is still just a blank screen. If I were to use this at a show or fair, I would definitely use the chain idea and run it down both sides so I could exhibit twice as much artwork!



I now have a multi-functional, moveable art gallery wall that adds color, privacy, and functional storage to my studio!


The best part of this project is that it cost me a total of zero dollars, since I already had the screen. But, if you don't have one, thrift stores may be a great place to find one. I found this one at Hobby Lobby a few years ago for half price. The art is not permanently fixed to the screen and I can still return the screen to its original use at any time.

Do you like this idea? Please let me know in the comments if you try it. I would love to see your studio improvement projects. Tag me @goinspirebeauty on instagram or twitter.

Stay well and keep creating!

Blessings,
Jodi












No comments:

Post a Comment